Mexican chicken soup
- SERVES 4
- Takes 35 mins
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 350g (about 2) chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g tin black beans
- Packet of tortilla chips
- Small bunch coriander, chopped
- Small bunch spring onion, chopped (can substitute with chopped avocado)
- 1 x lime
- Pour the stock into a pan, and add the chicken breasts and chilli. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, partly cover and simmer for 20 mins until done. Remove the chicken and shred, reserving the stock and chilli.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and cumin and cook on a gentle heat for 5 mins until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes, reserved stock and chilli. Blitz in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth, then return to the pan.
- Add the shredded chicken, sweet corn and black beans. Cook gently for 5 mins whilst stirring, then season generously with salt and pepper. Divide the tortilla chips, coriander and spring onion between the bowls, then pour over the soup. Finish with a good squeeze of lime juice and serve.