ROAST STUFFED SADDLE OF LAMB
- 1 x 2.5kg (5.5lb) saddle of lamb (with kidneys)
- Spinach and garlic stuffing
- Olive oil*
- A whole garlic decloved (leave the skins on)
- Sprigs of rosemary
- Salt and pepper
For the stuffing
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp butter
- Dash of olive oil
- 100ml (6fl oz) double cream
- 900g spinach
- Kidneys from the lamb chopped finely (optional)
- 2 egg yolks*
Ask your butcher to debone the saddle, keep any bones and trim. We're happy to stuff the saddle for you if you bring the stuffing mixture in to us.
Why not try serving with warm ratatouille and salad?
- Preheat oven to 200'C (400'F, gas mark 6).
- Place the peeled garlic cloves in foil with a knob of butter and a splash of oil. Season and roast for 20-30 mins. Crush the garlic once roasted.
- Reduce the cream down by half in a pan.
- Blanch the spinach, drain and then chop roughly.
- If using kidneys, fry the chopped kidney for about 30 seconds and mix in with the spinach, cream, egg yolk, garlic and seasoning.
- If your butcher has stuffed it for you then it is oven ready.
- Add a little oil to your roasting tin and heat on the hob. Place the lamb in it and start to brown it until golden.
- Remove from oven and place on a plate or rack. Cover loosely with foil and allow it rest for 10 mins.
- Garnish with the garlic and rosemary.
* Available from J Seal Butchers.