J.SEAL'S OWN SPANISH PORK WITH OLIVES AND CHORIZO
- 900g (2lb) of shoulder of pork or pork steak (which is a leaner cut) cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 200-300g chorizo sausage*, left whole or chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp olive oil*
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped roughly
- 1 tbsp plain flour (optional)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes*
- A large glass of red wine (Rioja works well)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Handful of freshly chopped basil
- 1 yellow, red or green pepper, sliced
- 12 black olives, left whole for a more rustic look or chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- Add some fresh chilli or Tabasco
- To make it go a little further, use a can of borlotti or cannellini beans. This also adds taste, texture and body.
- Although this recipe can be done on the hob, it's best in the oven as the meat will become softer and more flavoursome. You'll end up with a great looking dish, full of vibrant colour and flavour.
- Brown off the pork using the olive oil in the casserole dish or frying pan then transfer to dish. Add the pork a few bits at a time to maintain the heat. Add the onion and garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Whilst that is browning preheat oven to 180-200°C, deglaze the pan with a little water and tip the pork and the juices into casserole dish.
- Add ½ pint of chicken stock with the chopped tomatoes and pepper, give it a stir and allow to bubble. Add your wine and flour to thicken the sauce (optional) or add near the end if it’s a bit watery for your liking.
- Add the chorizo and the chilli and Tabasco if desired and allow to simmer for about 5 mins.
- Turn oven down to 150°C. Transfer casserole dish into oven and cook for another 1.5-2 hours.
- Allow to settle and serve with crusty bread, saffron rice or just on its own in a bowl for a hearty, warming dish that looks and tastes great.
*All available from J Seal Butchers.